Using Twitter, students are able to make direct contact with individuals and to follow up with new questions when they receive responses. By using social media their learning is alive, relevant and rooted in current events.
- What is this person’s/group’s job?
- Does this person/group have an interest in the oil sands?
- Is this person/group an expert in their field?
- Does this person/group tweet about the oil sands?
- Does this person/group use verifiable facts?
Once vetted by these questions students voted to follow the user or not and then began tweeting their questions using #oilsandsquestions to help organize the responses they received.
Dan Pye (@dcpye) is a Learning Leader at the All Boys Program. He’s passionate about empowering his students to create and collaborate through the use of technology, maker space and design thinking.